When menstrual periods are absent during your reproductive years, from puberty to menopause, it is termed amenorrhea.
Amenorrhea is not a disease, nor does it imply that you are infertile. However, it could indicate an underlying medical condition that needs attention.
If you face this issue, you can visit Budget Fertility Centre for comprehensive and effective amenorrhea treatment in Mumbai.
We are one of the leading gynecology centres that offer top-class medical care and treatment for a whole range of gynecological issues such as fibroids, endometriosis, vulval disorder, menopause, infertility, etc.
Our centre is managed by a team of highly experienced and trusted gynecologist in Mumbai, namely Dr. Hrishikesh Pai, Dr. Rishma Dhillon Pai, and Dr. Rohan Palshetkar.
These highly acclaimed doctors are at the forefront of providing exceptional, result-oriented medical care tailored to their patients’ needs. Their commitment to their patients is unmatched.
Read on to learn about amenorrhea's symptoms, causes, and treatment options.
As mentioned earlier, amenorrhea is when you miss one or more of your periods. Menstruation starts around puberty and ends when you reach menopause. A woman experiences a menstrual cycle every month, except during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
There are two types of amenorrhea:
- Primary amenorrhea is when the periods do not start by 15. It usually happens due to hormonal changes, but anatomical issues could also be a cause. Though rare, you should seek medical help if it is so.
- Secondary amenorrhea is when the normal menstrual cycle ceases to occur for three or more months or if your menses are irregular and has been absent for six or more months. The most common cause is pregnancy, but it can also happen due to illness or stress.
What are the symptoms of amenorrhea?
Lack of periods is the main symptom of amenorrhea. Apart from it, you may experience other symptoms that depend on the cause, like:
- Vaginal dryness
- Hot flashes
- Excess facial and body hair growth
- Changes in the vision
- Discharge of milk from the nipples
- Hair loss
- Lack of breast development in primary amenorrhea
Now let’s move on to the causes of amenorrhea.
There are many reasons for amenorrhea which we have listed below.
Causes for primary amenorrhea
- Issues with reproductive organs
- A genetic or chromosomal issue with the ovaries
- Hormonal dysfunction due to problems with the pituitary or hypothalamus gland.
Causes for secondary amenorrhea
- Certain birth control pills and methods
Other than the above causes, secondary amenorrhea can occur due to:
- Ongoing illness
- Poor nutrition
- Extreme weight loss
- Certain medications, including antipsychotics, antidepressants, blood pressure, and allergy medicine.
- Uterine scarring
- Ovarian and brain tumors
- Radiation and chemotherapy
- Removal of the ovaries and uterus
What are the complications of amenorrhea?
The complications of amenorrhea are:
- Pelvic pain
- Psychological stress
- Difficulty getting pregnant and infertility
- Cardiovascular disease
How is amenorrhea diagnosed?
As seen above, there are many causes of amenorrhea. An accurate diagnosis is necessary for appropriate treatment. We have some of the most experienced gynecologist in Mumbai who are expert in treating amenorrhea.
They will discuss your medical history during the initial consultation and perform a pelvic and physical exam. The doctor may ask you to undergo some tests to find out the exact cause of your amenorrhea, which may include:
- Blood tests
- Pregnancy test
- Imaging tests such as ultrasound, MRI, or CT scan
- Hormone challenge test
- Genetic screening
What are the options for amenorrhea treatment in Mumbai?
At Budget Fertility Centre, we provide well-researched, safe, and effective amenorrhea treatment in Mumbai. Our gynecologists will curate the treatment plan according to the condition's underlying cause.
If you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or have reached menopause, you will not require treatment. In some cases, the menstrual cycle can resume with the help of birth control pills or hormone replacement treatment.
If the condition is due to pituitary or thyroid disorder, then our gynecologist will prescribe medications to treat it. However, if there are physical abnormalities or tumors, you will have to undergo surgery.
Besides these treatments, if the cause of your amenorrhea is related to depression, stress, PCOS, etc., the doctor will suggest stress management techniques, a weight loss diet, and exercises.
You can help the doctor by keeping track of the changes in the symptoms and menstrual cycle so that they can alter the medications accordingly.