Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a common hormonal disorder among women of reproductive age. Approximately 15% of women have this condition. PCOS is a leading cause of female infertility and also puts you at risk for long-term health issues such as diabetes and heart diseases.
However, treatments are available to manage the condition and help you conceive. For one of the best PCOS treatment in Mumbai, you can visit Budget Fertility Centre. Our state-of-the-art clinic offers excellent treatment options for a wide spectrum of gynecological disorders, including endometriosis, fibroids, amenorrhea, recurrent miscarriage, premature menopause, infertility, etc.
Furthermore, we have some of the best gynecologist in Mumbai practising here, whose sole aim is to provide affordable, seamless, and finest treatment with compassion and sensitivity.
Continue reading to know what PCOS is, its symptoms, causes, and treatment options.
Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)affects women's hormone levels, causing imbalance. Their ovaries produce an excess quantity of male hormones (androgen), resulting in irregular menstrual cycles, missed periods, and uncertain ovulation. In general, women with PCOS have fewer menses.
The lack of ovulation may cause the development of small cysts (fluid-filled sacs) on your ovaries, but that’s not the case every time. It is not necessary that everyone with PCOS will have cysts on their ovaries.
Basically, these cysts are follicles containing an immature egg each, which never got mature enough to trigger ovulation.
PCOS is a major cause of female infertility, and it may increase the risk for other health issues later on. Fortunately, early diagnoses and proper treatment can help you manage this condition.
Our doctors at Budget Fertility Centre are experts in PCOS treatment in Mumbai. They provide the treatment based on your symptoms and whether you plan to have a baby.
What are the symptoms of PCOS?
Some common symptoms of PCOS are:
- Erratic periods or absence of periods: The uterine lining does not shed each month due to unpredictable ovulation.
- Acne: The skin may turn oiler because of male hormones leading to acne breakouts on the face, back, and chest.
- Heavy bleeding: As there is a build-up of the uterine lining for an extended time, you may have heavier periods.
- Hair loss: PCOS may affect the hair growth on the scalp by making the hair thinner, resulting in hair loss.
- Facial and body hair growth: Hirsutism is a common symptom of PCOS, with over 70% of women having excess hair growth on their face and body.
- Weight gain: A very high percentage of women are either overweight or obese due to PCOS.
- Skin tags or darkened skin: The skin creases may develop dark patches, such as the neck, armpit, groin, and below the breasts.
- Infertility: Women find it difficult to conceive due to lack or decreased frequency of ovulation.
Now that you know the symptoms let’s understand the causes of PCOS?
It is not possible to know the exact cause of PCOS. However, many factors may contribute to the development of this condition.
Excess androgen: Increased androgen levels do not allow the ovaries to release the eggs, thereby causing erratic menstrual cycles. It also causes acne and hirsutism in women.
Low-grade inflammation: Women with PCOS usually have low-grade inflammation that triggers the ovaries to produce androgens. This can result inheart and blood vessel problems.
Excess insulin: Insulin produced by the pancreas assists the body in processing the sugar from the food for energy. But if the cells become resistant to insulin, the blood sugar levels rise, causing the pancreas to make more insulin. This can increase the production of androgen, leading to difficulty with ovulation. Around 70 percent of women with PCOS are resistant to insulin.
Genetic: You will be at a greater risk of having PCOS if your mother or sister has it.
What are the complications of PCOS?
PCOS may cause complications such as:
- Abnormal uterine bleeding
- Type 2 diabetes
- Gestational diabetes
- Premature birth or miscarriage
- Sleep apnea
- Anxiety, depression, eating disorders
- Metabolic syndrome
- Non-alcoholic steatohepatitis
- Endometrial cancer
How is PCOS diagnosed?
Before starting with your PCOS treatment in Mumbai, our doctor will have an in-depth consultation with you where they will ask you about your medical history, menstrual cycle, symptoms, and weight fluctuations. Further, they may perform a physical and pelvic exam to check for growths in your uterus or ovaries.
To confirm the diagnosis, our doctor may recommend the following tests:
- Blood tests to check the blood sugar, hormone levels, and cholesterol.
- Ultrasound to examine your ovaries for cysts, measure the uterus lining, and look out for tumors.
What are the options for PCOS treatment in Mumbai?
We have some of thebest PCOS doctor in Mumbai at Budget Fertility Centre.They have years of experience and vast knowledge in handling this condition with positive outcomes.
Our doctors recommend the most appropriate treatment options based on your medical history, symptoms, and whether you want to conceive or not. PCOS treatment in Mumbai includes medications, lifestyle changes, or both.
Medications: Our doctors prescribe various medications to help you manage the condition.
If you are not planning to have children, then the treatments include:
- Hormonal birth control: Birth control medication that comes in the form of pills, vaginal ring, or patch help regulate the menstrual cycle, restore hormonal balance, protect against endometrial cancer, and treat symptoms such as acne and excessive hair growth.
- Medications for blocking androgens: Certain drugs block the androgen effect, thereby addressing hair growth and acne issues.
- Insulin-sensitizing medications: Our doctors will ask you to take drugs that control diabetes. It will help the body process insulin and improve your menstrual cycles.
If you are planning to have children, then we offer the following treatments:
- Medications to induce ovulation: Some drugs help induce ovulation. Our doctors, who are known to provide one of the best PCOS treatment in Mumbai, will prescribe them according to your specific needs and general health.
- Surgery: Ovarian drilling is a surgical procedure that is rarely used now. Our doctor will remove the ovarian tissues that produce androgen hormones in this surgery, thereby stimulating ovulation.
- IVF: If medications fail, our doctors may recommend in vitro fertilization. Your eggs are fertilized with your partner's sperm in the laboratory and then implanted in your uterus.
- Lifestyle changes:
Lifestyle changes make a vast difference in treating PCOS. Reducing only around 5 to 10 percent of your body weight may improve your fertility and increase the effectiveness of the medications.
Why choose Budget Fertility Centre for PCOS treatment in Mumbai?
- Budget Fertility Centre is a premier clinic focussingexclusively on issues related to women’s health. You can get world-class treatment for various fertility and gynecological matters at our clinic.
- We offer personalized treatment best suited to your unique needs and requirements. We have top-of-the-line medical equipment and technology to help accurately diagnose the problem and provide precise treatments.
- Most importantly, we have some of thebest PCOS doctor in Mumbaiwho has extensive experience and expertise in treating and managing this condition and helping women struggling with infertility get pregnant.